Re: [1/2] PCI-Express Non-Transparent Bridge Support

From: Jakub Kicinski
Date: Sun Oct 07 2012 - 08:13:44 EST

Hi,

it's good to see some NTB code getting into mainline! I have a few comments
though.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:26:16 -0000, Jon Mason <jon.mason@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[...]
>+/**
>+ * ntb_write_local_spad() - write to the secondary scratchpad register
>+ * @ndev: pointer to ntb_device instance
>+ * @idx: index to the scratchpad register, 0 based
>+ * @val: the data value to put into the register
>+ *
>+ * This function allows writing of a 32bit value to the indexed scratchpad
>+ * register. The register resides on the secondary (external) side.
>+ *
>+ * RETURNS: An appropriate -ERRNO error value on error, or zero for success.
>+ */
[...]
>+/**
>+ * ntb_write_remote_spad() - write to the secondary scratchpad register
>+ * @ndev: pointer to ntb_device instance
>+ * @idx: index to the scratchpad register, 0 based
>+ * @val: the data value to put into the register
>+ *
>+ * This function allows writing of a 32bit value to the indexed scratchpad
>+ * register. The register resides on the secondary (external) side.
>+ *
>+ * RETURNS: An appropriate -ERRNO error value on error, or zero for success.
>+ */

Those comments look suspiciously similar. I think one of the functions
does write to primary scratchpad?

[...]
>+/**
>+ * ntb_read_local_spad() - read from the primary scratchpad register
>+ * @ndev: pointer to ntb_device instance
>+ * @idx: index to scratchpad register, 0 based
>+ * @val: pointer to 32bit integer for storing the register value
>+ *
>+ * This function allows reading of the 32bit scratchpad register on
>+ * the primary (internal) side.
>+ *
>+ * RETURNS: An appropriate -ERRNO error value on error, or zero for success.
>+ */
[...]
>+/**
>+ * ntb_read_remote_spad() - read from the primary scratchpad register
>+ * @ndev: pointer to ntb_device instance
>+ * @idx: index to scratchpad register, 0 based
>+ * @val: pointer to 32bit integer for storing the register value
>+ *
>+ * This function allows reading of the 32bit scratchpad register on
>+ * the primary (internal) side.
>+ *
>+ * RETURNS: An appropriate -ERRNO error value on error, or zero for success.
>+ */

Same here.

[...]
>+static int ntb_setup_msix(struct ntb_device *ndev)
>+{
>+ struct pci_dev *pdev = ndev->pdev;
>+ struct msix_entry *msix;
>+ int msix_entries;
>+ int rc, i, pos;
>+ u16 val;
>+
>+ pos = pci_find_capability(pdev, PCI_CAP_ID_MSIX);
>+ if (!pos) {
>+ rc = -EIO;
>+ goto err;
>+ }
>+
>+ rc = pci_read_config_word(pdev, pos + PCI_MSIX_FLAGS, &val);
>+ if (rc)
>+ goto err;
>+
>+ msix_entries = msix_table_size(val);
>+ if (msix_entries > ndev->limits.msix_cnt) {
>+ rc = -EINVAL;
>+ goto err;
>+ }
>+
>+ ndev->msix_entries = kmalloc(sizeof(struct msix_entry) * msix_entries,
>+ GFP_KERNEL);
>+ if (!ndev->msix_entries) {
>+ rc = -ENOMEM;
>+ goto err;
>+ }
>+
>+ for (i = 0; i < msix_entries; i++)
>+ ndev->msix_entries[i].entry = i;
>+
>+ rc = pci_enable_msix(pdev, ndev->msix_entries, msix_entries);
>+ if (rc < 0)
>+ goto err1;
>+ if (rc > 0) {

rc > 0 doesn't mean that vectors were allocated. Have a look at the
example in Documentation/PCI/MSI-HOWTO.txt.

>+ /* On SNB, the link interrupt is always tied to 4th vector. If
>+ * we can't get all 4, then we can't use MSI-X.
>+ */
>+ if (ndev->hw_type != BWD_HW) {
>+ rc = -EIO;
>+ goto err1;
>+ }

This looks fragile, what if msix_table_size(val) was < 4?

Thanks for your work,

-- Kuba