Re: Linux 3.6

From: Nick Bowler
Date: Tue Oct 09 2012 - 14:52:34 EST

On 2012-10-04 23:30 +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:
> On Oct 04 Nick Bowler wrote:
[...]
> > > Well that's sad. :( Two situations I can think of for that:
> > > - the kernel wasn't build with CONFIG_AUDIT
> >
> > Indeed, I do not have this option enabled. Why would I have it? The
> > description says it's for SELinux, which I do not use.
>
> It says it is /among else/ for SELinux. Another user appears to be
> ConsoleKit, which wants CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL, which depends on CONFIG_AUDIT.

Indeed, you are correct that the help text does imply that there are
(potentially) other users besides SElinux, although it does not say what
they are. Regardless, the point is that I have no idea why I would have
this optional feature enabled, as I still don't even know what it does
because the help text doesn't actually say. I even found a website,
http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/, which seems to be related to
this feature but even here I cannot find one sentence explaining what
the feature is.

Well, from this thread I now know that this feature enables, at least
in some cases, printk messages when your previously-working scripts are
broken by a kernel update.

Cheers,
--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)