Re: Linux 2.6.32.60

From: Romain Francoise
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 10:05:25 EST

Hi Willy,

Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> writes:

> I've just released Linux 2.6.32.60.

> This release contains, among others, a number of fixes for random and NTP,
> including for the NTP leap second bug. Users should upgrade.

I'm somewhat surprised to see that it also includes a new feature, namely
support for Intel's new RDRAND instruction to get random bits ("Bull
Mountain"):

67c1930 ("x86, random: Verify RDRAND functionality and allow it to be disabled")
5e6321d ("x86, random: Architectural inlines to get random integers with RDRAND")

This was apparently backported from 3.2 via Paul's 2.6.34 tree. Did you
test this release on a CPU with RDRAND? The commits are small, but they
don't really qualify as bugfix-only...

In v3.0-stable the various changes to mix more randomness in the entropy
pool were backported without this feature.

Thanks,
-r