Re: dtc: import latest upstream dtc

From: David Gibson
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 01:10:33 EST

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 03:42:33PM -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 1:16 PM, David Gibson wrote:
> > [snip]
> >>
> >> Used by what other files? kernel files? We ultimately want to split out
> >> dts files from the kernel, so whatever we add needs to be self
> >> contained. I don't see this as a huge issue though because the whole
> >> point of the DT data is to move that information out of the kernel. If
> >> it is needed in both places, then something is wrong.
> >
> > People get very hung up on this idea of having the DT move device
> > information out of the kernel, but that was never really the
> > motivation behind it. Or at least, not the only or foremost
> > motivation.
> >
> > The DT provides a consistent, flexible way of describing device
> > information. That allows the core runtime the kernel to operate the
> > same way, regardless of how the DT information was obtained. The DT
> > could come from firmware, but it could also come from an intermediate
> > bootloader or from early kernel code. All are perfectly acceptable
> > options depending on the constraints of the platform.
> >
> > The idea of firmware supplying the DT is much touted, but while it's a
> > theoretically nice idea, I think it's frequently a bad idea for
> > practical reasons. Those being, in essence that a) firmware usually
> > sucks, b) it's usually harder (or at least no easier) to replace
> > firmware with a fixed version than the kernel/bootwrapper and c)
> > firmware usually *really* sucks.
>
> Gee, it sounds like you want firmware to suck. Beating on the "firmware
> sucks" drum is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, discouraging talented
> programmers from doing firmware. Who would want to work on something
> that "everyone knows sucks"?

At this point it's already fulfilled. Unfortunately, it really
doesn't matter how many more nice firmwares appear, once you have to
support the shitty ones - which we already do - the damage is done.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson