Re: acpi : acpi_bus_trim() stops removing devices when failing toremove the device

From: Yasuaki Ishimatsu
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 01:40:54 EST

Hi Toshi,

2012/10/10 22:01, Toshi Kani wrote:
On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 10:07 +0900, Yasuaki Ishimatsu wrote:
:
if (acpi_drv) {
if (acpi_drv->ops.notify)
acpi_device_remove_notify_handler(acpi_dev);

THIS CALL

- if (acpi_drv->ops.remove)
- acpi_drv->ops.remove(acpi_dev, acpi_dev->removal_type);
+ if (acpi_drv->ops.remove) {
+ ret = acpi_drv->ops.remove(acpi_dev,
+ acpi_dev->removal_type);
+ if (ret)

Hi Yasuaki,

Shouldn't the notify handler be reinstalled here if it was removed by
the acpi_device_remove_notify_handler() above?

I do not reinstall the notify handler.
The function has not been removed on linux-3.6. And the patch is created
on linux-3.6. So the function remains in the patch.

Umm... I am not sure what you meant. Let me clarify my comment. When
acpi_drv->ops.remove() failed, I thought we would need to roll-back the
procedure done by the acpi_device_remove_notify_handler() call, which I
indicated as "THIS CALL" above. So, in this error path, don't we need
something like below?

if (acpi_drv->ops.notify)
acpi_device_install_notify_handler(acpi_dev)

I understood what you said. I'll update it.

Thanks,
Yasuaki Ishimatsu

Thanks,
-Toshi