Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kvm-ppc tree with thepowerpc-merge tree

From: Scott Wood
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 13:29:13 EST

On 10/11/2012 12:24:59 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:
Scott Wood wrote:
>> > My concern is that when I think of a user-space header file, I think
>> > of a
>> > user-space application that calls ioctls. I know that KVM guest
>> > kernels
>> > run as user-space processes, but that does not seem like a reason to
>> > combine all of the header files that the KVM guest kernel needs with
>> > "real" user-space header files.

> So where should guest headers go?

I admit that I don't have any answers, especially since this whole thing
is new to me. Like I said, I don't know much about KVM internals, so I
just don't understand why KVM guests need to have access to these kernel
header files as if they're user header files. The guests are still Linux
kernels (or other OSes that think they're running as privileged code).

For hypercalls and other paravirt. That's the point -- they're not kernel headers. They're guest API headers.

-scott