Re: RCU NOHZ, tsc, and clock_gettime

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 17:08:07 EST

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:51:44PM -0700, John Stultz wrote:
> [...]
> >to be running ATM. The result, however, is _identical_ to that of linux.git
> >latest.
> >
> >The attached program compares userspace TSC reads to the time returned from
> >the REALTIME_CLOCK[1]. The test does the following
> >
> >read tsc1
> >get REALTIME_CLOCK value
> >read tsc2
> >
> >and then does a comparison between the tsc read and the REALTIME_CLOCK value
> >to see if they are in sync with each other.
> >
> >[I'm leaving out the guts of the analysis here. It is sufficient to show
> >examples of "good" data and "bad" data IMO.]
> >
> >On a good run, we see little variance in between the values:
> >
> > 0 144 0.1
> > 1 138 1.8
> > 2 147 -2.9
> [snip]
> > 29 144 -0.6
> >n: 30, slope: 0.50 (1.99 GHz), dev: 1.1 ns, max: 2.9 ns
> >

> >On a bad run, there is a lot of variance between the values:
> >
> > 0 144 -346.0
> > 1 138 1410.8
> > 2 138 -806.9
> > 3 141 4006.6
> > 4 147 -3996.1
> [snip]
> > 29 141 -50.3
> >n: 30, slope: 0.50 (1.99 GHz), dev: 1231.4 ns, max: 4006.6 ns
>

> Do you see the same noisy variance when instead of doing:
> rdtsc()
> clock_gettime()
> rdtsc()
>
> you do:
> clock_gettime()
> clock_gettime()
>
> And calculate the delta of the timestamp results?
>
> Also does this behavior change if you select different clocksources
> on the system?
>
> >It was noted by the bug reporter that specifying "nohz=off" resolved the
> >problem. I tested with "nohz=off" and AFAICT it fixes the issue. I started
> >out debugging by assuming that delays in the c-state transitions were not being
> >properly accounted for in the timing calculations.
> >
> >I ran a baseline test on an unmodified kernel (with no extra boot options) and
> >confirmed that powertop shows the CPUs entering deep c-states while the test was
> >running for 300 runs.
> >
> >I then instrumented the PM QoS and the power management code (specifically
> >cpuidle). I put in a large # of printk's to monitor the CPU transitions, and
> >monitored the power states via powertop in order to verify that the system was
> >behaving correctly wrt PM QoS.
> >
> >If you modify the tstsc script to run 300 times with this modified kernel, and
> >run powertop in the middle of the script, you will see that the processors do
> >NOT enter deep c-states. **This means that PM QoS is doing its job correctly**.
>
> So its not clear here, do you see the same noisier latencies when
> using PM QoS to limit deep c-states?
>
> Finally, how many cpus are on the machine you see this with? Does

Also, what is the value of NR_CPUS? And exactly which kernel.org kernel
are you using?

The effect of removing the two functions you noted (on 3.6 and earlier)
is to prevent RCU from checking for dyntick-idle CPUs, likely incurring
a cache miss for each CPU with interrupts disabled. If you have a lot
of CPUs (or even if NR_CPUS is large and you have a smaller number of
CPUs), this can result in user-space-visible delays.

Thanx, Paul