Re: RFC: sign the modules at install time

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Oct 17 2012 - 19:25:33 EST

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Debuginfo is run on the installed tree ($RPM_BUILD_ROOT), not the
> object tree. It's how RPM works. It kind of has to because it should
> only create debuginfo files for files that are actually installed by
> the RPM.

Yeah, I just read your blog post, and sent a suggested "here's how it works".

It really should work fine with the much simplified module-signing
rules too. Yes, you may want to add a "make module-sign" target to
*re*-sign modules after you've mucked with them, but you don't really
even need that. You could just as easily just do the re-signing
directly.

The point being that I'm pretty sure you really don't need that odd
dance at modpost time. And having "make modules_install" sign the
modules it installs (unstripped, for your use case) actually works for
the rpm package too.

Linus