Re: [GIT PULL] Linux KVM tool for v3.7-rc0

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Oct 21 2012 - 08:59:28 EST

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 01:07:31PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > Why couldn't this script just be a wrapper around qemu
>
> It can be. Here is my ususual one:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /opt/qemu/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
> -m 1500 \
> -enable-kvm \
> -drive if=none,file=/home/hch/qemu-root.img,cache=none,id=root \

You are wrong on three counts:

- As I mentioned it in my first mail to you this is not the
same as 'vm run': you still have a qemu-root.img while
tools/kvm does not ...

'vm run' works without having any disk image around, it just
uses the existing distro binaries and boots them, sharing the
host file system.

- automatic, transparent host filesystem sharing is another
useful feature: I can copy files in/out of the virtual
machine using the host filesystem.

- transparent networking is up and running straight away

But yeah, I guess if you ignore enough key tools/kvm/ features
then you will eventually be right: it's really just the same as
Qemu and has no place in the kernel repo ;-)

Thanks,

Ingo