Jitter

From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem
Date: Mon Oct 22 2012 - 21:56:27 EST

As those who have seen my posts on LKML, I am all about jitter.
10 years ago I said why not do an OpenGL desktop, and now we have wayland.
10 years ago, I said, don`t do excessive buffering, and now we have "fighting bufferbloat".
10 years ago, I talked about how responsive vintage computers was, without "OS".

And I have taken that further, and now work with low-jitter for the desktop. Low latency all the way, or atleast down to 0.2ms max latency and jitter.

In the mean time, the masses are unaware of jitter, unless it is very noticable such as recent discussions on "microstutter".
Most still advise to "not turn off services" in windows, yet show me benchmarks of "motherboards" with DPC latency of 50-300uS. I am already running at 5uS in windows here. And it is not "the motherboard". This is about OS-jitter.

And in linux, I am running with even less jitter, now trying rt-patch only at "low latency" preemption yet, but still. And even in the linuxcommunity many seem not to understand. Those who do are much higher then on windows though. And while many also make completely absurd statements and attack what I am doing, I am very happily running what feels like a high performance computer. With a lot of activity being there on the next frame, and ultrasmooth framerates in OpenGL. Indeed optimizing and removing jitter, seeing improvements on what goes on, on the highest performing bus in the computer, seems to improve general desktop computing.

I think I have tried most things now, and unless you want to wait 10 years for people to catch on, you should consider low-jitter aswell.

And I am also interested in any patches that currently are not mainline. - Please repost in this thread if you have any. Or any other information, or ongoing development. If it is not all in the RT patch, that is.

Peace Be With You.