Re: Linux Kernel

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Tue Oct 23 2012 - 10:35:07 EST

On 10/23/2012 04:32 AM, Dwiastika Peppy wrote:
Hai Justin. My name is Peppy
I wanna ask you about installing Linux Kernel 2.6.27
I'm a newbie in Linux user
I got problem when installed Linux Kernel and this is the problem :
*scripts/unifdef.c:209: error: conflicting types for ‘getline’
/usr/include/stdio.h:651: note: previous declaration of ‘getline’ was here
make[2]: *** [scripts/unifdef] Error 1
make[1]: *** [__headers] Error 2
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 2*

what should i do to solve this problem?
maybe you can help me..
Thank you before Justin

Best Regards,

Peppy

from what I remember libc made the change then everything else had to be fixed. this commit is the commit which fixes it:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d15bd1067b1fcb2b7250d22bc0c7c7fea0b759f7

but after thinking this over we probably should have done a
get_line || getline();
so old and new can always be working for people using older kernels and in the event of bisecting. but then again we might have more of a bloated kernel if we did this approach to _every_ function definition rename in the kernel.

anyway hope this helps with your build experience of the kernel.

Justin P. Mattock