Re: Apparent serious progressive ext4 data corruption bug in 3.6.3 (and other stable branches?)

From: Nix
Date: Fri Oct 26 2012 - 16:37:16 EST

On 26 Oct 2012, Eric Sandeen outgrape:

> On 10/23/12 3:57 PM, Nix wrote:
>> The only unusual thing about the filesystems on this machine are that
>> they have hardware RAID-5 (using the Areca driver), so I'm mounting with
>> 'nobarrier': the full set of options for all my ext4 filesystems are:
>>
>> rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,journal_checksum,journal_async_commit,nobarrier,quota,
>> usrquota,grpquota,commit=30,stripe=16,data=ordered,usrquota,grpquota
>
> Out of curiosity, when I test log replay with the journal_checksum option, I
> almost always get something like:
>
> [ 999.917805] JBD2: journal transaction 84121 on dm-1-8 is corrupt.
> [ 999.923904] EXT4-fs (dm-1): error loading journal
>
> after a simulated crash & log replay.
>
> Do you see anything like that in your logs?

I'm not seeing any corrupt journals or abort messages at all. The
journal claims to be fine, but plainly isn't.

I can reproduce this on a small filesystem and stick the image somewhere
if that would be of any use to anyone. (If I'm very lucky, merely making
this offer will make the problem go away. :} )

--
NULL && (void)