Re: [GIT PULL 0/9] perf/core improvements and fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Oct 30 2012 - 04:18:26 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > These are really useful: there used to be a couple of
> > > seconds of wait time at the beginning of every perf build -
> > > these are now nicely explained with the various CHK entries.
> >
> > The optimal way, I guess, would be to have some cache file
> > with the results of such feature tests, that would be created
> > and then used till the build fails using its findings, which
> > would trigger a new feature check round, followed by an
> > automatic rebuild.
> >
> > That would be tricky because we would have to have an
> > automated way of discovering if the build failed due to
> > missing packages or if it failed due to some ordinary coding
> > mistake.
>
> The feature tests aren't a big problem right now - but making
> it *visible* is really useful. It also tells us which feature
> test fails, etc.

Btw., there's another thing that would be nice in addition to
simplifying the PERF-VERSION-GEN script: to be able to run the
CHK tests in parallel, like the object file runes.

Right now the CHK tests are serialized and they take several
seconds to build and run. A parallel make rule would reduce
that to about a second I think.

Thanks,

Ingo