Re: 'git describe' is very slow on development trees with lots ofcommits

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Oct 31 2012 - 13:52:18 EST

Hi!

> (Cc:-ed the Git development list.)
>
> * David Ahern <dsahern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > PERF-VERSION-GEN and specifically the git commands are the
> > cause of more delay than the config checks, especially when
> > doing the build in a VM with the kernel source on an NFS
> > mount.
>
> Yes, I have noticed that too.
> The cost on this pretty fast machine is about 1 msecs per commit
> - which adds up to about 2.5 seconds during much of the
> development cycle.

Well... I noticed my builds when little changed are very slow... and
it was due to the computation of version string. Ouch.

pavel@amd:~/mainline-altera/linux$ time git describe
fixes-for-linus-506-g71ca8691
0.68user 0.22system 27.82 (0m27.820s) elapsed 3.26%CPU
pavel@amd:~/mainline-altera/linux$

(Cached it is more reasonable 3 seconds, but it keeps going out of
cache all the time. Uncached clean build is 3 minutes, cached is 9
seconds + time to do git describe).

Thikpad X60.

Pavel