Re: [RFC] Second attempt at kernel secure boot support

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Thu Nov 01 2012 - 17:18:59 EST

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:14:00PM +0000, James Bottomley wrote:

> I agree that's a possibility. However, I think the court of public
> opinion would pillory the first Commercial Linux Distribution that went
> to Microsoft for the express purpose of revoking their competition's
> right to boot. It would be commercial suicide.

Oracle are something of a vexatious litigant as far as the court of
public opinion is concerned, but even without that it could be a
customer who complains. If you're personally comfortable with a specific
level of security here, that's fine - but it's completely reasonable for
others to feel that there are valid technical and commercial concerns to
do this properly.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx