Fwd: Re: Scheduler queues for less os-jitter?

From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem
Date: Sat Nov 03 2012 - 21:20:26 EST

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Uwaysi Bin Kareem" <uwaysi.bin.kareem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Mike Galbraith" <efault@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Scheduler queues for less os-jitter?
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 02:19:39 +0100

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 04:46:34 +0200, Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 20:13 +0200, Uwaysi Bin Kareem wrote:
I was just wondering, have you considered this?

If daemons are contributing to os-jitter, wouldn`t having them all on
their own queue reduce jitter? So people could have the stuff like in
Ubuntu they want, without affecting jitter, or needing stuff like Tiny
Core, for tiny jitter?

So you get (simplified) something like mainapp - process1 in queue 2,
mainapp - process2 in queue 2, mainapp - process 3 in queue 2, etc.

Or is that already batch maybe, lol.

You could try SCHED_AUTOGROUP, or create whatever task groups manually,
or use systemd to do that for you. Like everything else having anything
to do with scheduling, all are double edged swords, so may help, may
hurt.

-Mike

Actually I did achieve this with fifo-relatime. Low jitter OpenGL seems to
be able to do, running the opengl app as realtime, with a low
sched_rt_period_us value and a high sched_rt_runtime_us value.

Peace Be With You.