Re: [BUGFIX] PM: Fix active child counting when disabled andforbidden

From: Huang Ying
Date: Mon Nov 05 2012 - 19:43:57 EST

On Sun, 2012-11-04 at 20:56 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2012, Huang Ying wrote:
>
> > In current runtime PM implementation, the active child count of the
> > parent device may be decreased if the runtime PM of the child device
> > is disabled and forbidden. For example, to unbind a PCI driver with a
> > PCI device, the following code path is possible:
> >
> > pci_device_remove
> > pm_runtime_set_suspended
> > __pm_runtime_set_status
> > atomic_add_unless(&parent->power.child_count, -1, 0)
> >
> > That is, the parent device may be suspended, even if the runtime PM of
> > child device is forbidden to be suspended. This violate the rule that
> > parent is allowed to be suspended only after all its children are
> > suspended, and may cause issue.
>
> This doesn't sound like a correct description of the situation. The
> rule is not violated. After pm_runtime_set_suspended runs, the child
> _is_ suspended. Thus there's no reason not to allow the parent to be
> suspended.
>
> The problem -- if there really is one -- is that a driver can put a
> device into the suspended state by calling pm_runtime_disable followed
> by pm_runtime_set_suspended, even if the usage count is > 0.
>
> I'm not so sure this should count as a problem. Generally devices
> aren't disabled for runtime PM unless something is wrong.

Devices will be disabled if the PCI driver is unbound from the PCI
device.

So I think the rule could be: even if the device is suspended, the
device can be put into suspended state only if its usage count == 0. In
this way, we can solve the issue for PCI driver unbound and that looks
more reasonable.

Best Regards,
Huang Ying