Re: VFS hot tracking: How to calculate data temperature?

From: Zhi Yong Wu
Date: Tue Nov 06 2012 - 04:00:11 EST

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:29:39AM +0800, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:

>> > Hi Zhiyong,
>> >
>> > I think that we might define a callback function. If a filesystem wants
>> > to save these data, it can implement a function to save them. The
>> > filesystem can decide whether adding it or not by themselves.
>> Great idea, temperature saving function is maybe very specific to FS.
>> But i am wondering if we can find one generic way to save temperature
>> info at first.
>
> I don't think a generic way is better because it cannot support a
> variety of filesystems. So maybe you must answer this question firstly:
> how many filesystems do you want to save this info? such as ext4, xfs,
> btrfs, etc. Then we can try to find a generic way. If only these three
> filesystems you want to support, maybe saving in xattr is an optional
> way.
yes, xattr is one good choice from currect discussion result. Maybe we
can provide one generic way, and one callback registering
infrastructure, if FS register its own saving callback, this callback
function will be used, otherwise the generic way will be applied.

By the way, as what Dave mentioned, the patchset v4+ review has
highest priority, then the way how to calc data temperature, and the
lowest priority is the way how to save data temperature info.

--
Regards,

Zhi Yong Wu