Re: [BUGFIX] PM: Fix active child counting when disabled and forbidden

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Wed Nov 07 2012 - 11:05:01 EST

On Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:49:04 AM Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Yes. But without a PCI driver, nothing will call
> > > pm_runtime_set_suspended.
> >
> > pm_runtime_set_suspended will be called in pci_device_remove or error
> > path of local_pci_probe.
>
> Yes, okay. But that's what we want. Unused, driverless PCI devices
> shouldn't force their parents to remain at full power.
>
> > > And even if something does call
> > > pm_runtime_set_suspended, it's still not a problem -- the device can't
> > > be used without a driver.
> >
> > The VGA device can be used without a driver.
>
> Ah, right, that's your _real_ problem. You should have mentioned this
> in the original Changelog for the patch.
>
> Rafael, this does need to be fixed.

Yup.

> The PCI subsystem assumes that
> driverless devices are not in use, so they are disabled for runtime PM
> and marked as suspended. This is not appropriate for VGA devices,
> which can indeed be used without a driver.
>
> I'm not sure what the best solution is. Maybe we should Ying's
> proposal a step farther:
>
> Make pm_runtime_set_suspended() fail if runtime PM is
> forbidden.
>
> Make pm_runtime_forbid() call pm_runtime_set_active()
> (and do a runtime resume of the parent) if disable_depth > 0.

I'd prefer this one. The callers of pm_runtime_forbid() may actually
reasonably expect something like this to happen.

> Make the PCI runtime-idle routine call
> pm_runtime_set_suspended() if disable_depth > 0. Or maybe
> do this for all devices, in the runtime PM core.

That would mean calling it on every call to pm_runtime_put() and friends
which seems to be a bit wasteful.

Thanks,
Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.