Re: Why Cypress does not upstream its trackpad driver?

From: David Daney
Date: Wed Nov 07 2012 - 19:00:49 EST

On 11/07/2012 03:30 PM, David Solda wrote:
Kamal,

My name is Dave Solda and I would be happy to answer any other questions that you have. Troy's response is correct however as in order to support the default Linux mouse class, our firmware would also have to be modified to do so, which cannot be done in system. Our packet protocol maxes out at an 8 byte packet, which requires a change to the Linux standard in this case.

Our goal in working with canonical was to provide something on Linux that would support multi-touch and not only have default single finger movement supported.

If I am mistaken and he Linux kernel would accept this, then we can proceed to upstream, however all indications we have is that this patch would be rejected. If you (or others on from the locus alias) have any inputs, I would be happy to receive them.

Really you should ask yourselves:

1) What benefit do you enjoy by keeping the code out of the upstream kernel?

2) What are the benefits of having a driver for your hardware in the upstream kernel?

If 2 > 1, then the course of action seems obvious.

Doing nothing because of some perceived impediment doesn't help anybody.

David Daney

Dave