Re: [RFC] Device Tree Overlays Proposal (Was Re: capebus moving omap_devicesto mach-omap2)

From: Mitch Bradley
Date: Thu Nov 08 2012 - 12:01:36 EST

On 11/8/2012 3:28 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 7 nov. 2012, om 23:35 heeft Ryan Mallon <rmallon@xxxxxxxxx> het volgende geschreven:

>>> What's wrong with having the boot loader detect the presence of the
>>> Cape and update the device tree accordingly? We do this all the time
>>> in U-Boot. Doing stuff like reading EEPROMs and testing for the
>>> presence of hardware is easier in U-Boot than in Linux.
>>
>> This is probably okay for some hardware, but doesn't work in the general
>> case. Not all hardware is detectable, for example a cape which just adds
>> a set of LEDs for GPIO pins. Also, some hardware might not easily be
>> detectable without adding additional complexity to the boot loader.
>
> And as Pantelis mentioned before, I really don't want my users to change the bootloader whenever they add a new LED. Touching the bootloader is just too accident prone, we had a ton of RMA requests for older versions of the beagleboard from people trying to upgrade u-boot.

One possibility for dynamic device tree mods would be to run Open
Firmware from u-boot and have it generate the device tree and possibly
modify it either interactively or from a script loaded from a file or
the network. OFW could then either load Linux directly or return to
u-boot, which would proceed with loading.