Re: drivers/char/random.c: variable type mismatch

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Thu Nov 08 2012 - 16:59:39 EST

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 01:32:38AM +0100, Stephan Mueller wrote:

> However, due to the fact that jiffies provides very few entropy, the
> event value provides (almost) none, the majority of entropy comes from
> the processor cycles. Assuming that the processor cycles increase once
> per nanosecond, after 2**32 cycles (about 4 seconds), the counter wraps.

Sure, we can make this change, but it doesn't make as much difference
as you think. The high 32 bits gets incremented about ounce every 4
seconds, while jiffies gets incremented once every 1/HZ seconds. But
the point is they are pretty well correlated (i.e., if you know the
jiffies values A' and A'', and I know the high 32 bits of the cycles
B', and you can determine the likely value of B'' to a very high
degree of accuracy. Values which are correlated don't actually
entropy.

- Ted