[RFC] Ever wonder what 21+ years of kernel development look like?

From: Darrick J. Wong
Date: Fri Nov 09 2012 - 19:02:06 EST

Hi all,

With the upcoming U.S. holiday, are you worried that there won't be much work
going on for a few days? Or perhaps you have kids who need a babysitter while
mom and dad hack code for a few hours? Maybe you've gotten tired of
fast-forwarding^W^W^Wwatching commercials on TV?

This is not the solution for you!

However, following the recent trend of gource animations popping up on YouTube
(due at least in part to the Phoronix editor), I have posted a 2.75h video of
gource animating the last 21 years of Linux kernel development. Watch in
amazement as 3D Linux hacker figures shoot multi-colored laser beams of code
goodness (or not) at the source tree! From Linux 0.01* all the way to 3.7-rc3,
you can watch the tree glow brighter with code churn, and shrink during the
less active times. A pure delight for the whole family**!

Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSqctHH9vY

Happy (belated) 21st birthday to Linux! A penguin walks into a U.S. bar...

--D

* The pre-2002 releases, sadly, all look like they're coming from Linus, and
have 2007-ish timestamps on them, probably due to the method used to shove
the early history into git. Sorry. I'll fix it if I ever figure out how.

** Well, not /my/ family. They complained about the lack of sound, so I
synthesized for them some bytebeats music until they fled the room.