Re: [GIT PULL 00/21] perf/core improvements and fixes

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Sun Nov 11 2012 - 21:11:00 EST

Hi Arnaldo,

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 18:42:49 -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Hi Ingo,
>
> Please consider pulling.
>
> - Arnaldo
>
> The following changes since commit 8dfec403e39b7c37fd6e8813bacc01da1e1210ab:
>
> perf tests: Removing 'optional' field (2012-11-05 14:03:59 -0300)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/linux tags/perf-core-for-mingo
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 27f94d52394003d444a383eaf8d4824daf32432e:
>
> tools lib traceevent: Use 'const' in variables pointing to const strings (2012-11-09 17:42:47 -0300)

> perf/core improvements and fixes:
>
> . Add a 'link' method for hists, so that we can have the leader with
> buckets for all the entries in all the hists. This new method
> is now used in the default 'diff' output, making the sum of the 'baseline'
> column be 100%, eliminating blind spots. Now we need to use this
> for 'diff' with > 2 perf.data files and for multi event 'report' and
> 'annotate'.

I'm not sure it can be used for group report at least in its current
form. IIUC it connects multiple hist entries using a list head and
create a dummy entry in the leader if need be. But it didn't handle
non-leader entries so it's hard to tell which is which if less entries
are present only. For example consider following case:

leader member1 member2
A A A

where leader, member1 and member2 are evsel/hists and A, B, C and D are
hist entries. After 'linking' the entries the leader will have
following linkage:

leader
A -> A -> A
C (dummy) -> C
D (dummy) -> D

In this case, for entry A the leader can determine which entry came from
which hists by looking its order in the list. For entry B the leader
can use zero value for them since the list is empty. However for
entries C and D, it cannot know which one is the right hists unless it
records a hist index or creates dummy entry and insert it in a correct
order (looks far from an optimal solution). Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Namhyung