Re: [BUGFIX] PM: Fix active child counting when disabled and forbidden

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Wed Nov 14 2012 - 05:01:25 EST

On Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:07:54 PM Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

[...]

I'd like to revisit this for a while if you don't mind.

> Your revised patch does do the job, except for a few problems.
> Namely, while local_pci_probe() and pci_device_remove() are running,
> the device _does_ have a driver.

Right.

> This means that local_pci_probe() should not call pm_runtime_get_sync(),
> for example. Doing so would invoke the driver's runtime_resume routine
> before calling the driver's probe routine!
>
> The USB subsystem solves this problem by carefully keeping track of the
> state of the device-driver binding:
>
> Originally the device is UNBOUND.
>
> At the start of the subsystem's probe routine, the state
> changes to BINDING.
>
> If the probe succeeds then it changes to BOUND; otherwise
> it goes back to UNBOUND.
>
> At the start of the subsystem's remove routine, the state
> changes to UNBINDING. At the end it goes to UNBOUND.
>
> When the state is anything other than BOUND, the subsystem's runtime PM
> routines act as though there is no driver.

Well, that wouldn't help PCI, because some drivers want to use the
pm_runtime_* stuff in their .probe() routines and actually expect it to
work. :-)

Perhaps we can introduce something like

pm_runtime_get[_put]_skip_callbacks()

that would treat the device as though it had the power.no_callbacks flag
set and use that around the driver's .probe() in the PCI core?

Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.