Re: [BUGFIX] PM: Fix active child counting when disabled andforbidden

From: Huang Ying
Date: Wed Nov 14 2012 - 08:37:15 EST

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 10:52 +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 09:08:28 AM Huang Ying wrote:

> > > No, because the device already is at full power. The subsystem just
> > > needs to tell the PM core that it is.

> > > Doing that is possible, but it might not work. The parent might
> > > actually be at low power; calling pm_runtime_set_active wouldn't change
> > > the physical power level. Basically, it's not safe to assume anything
> > > about devices that are disabled for runtime PM.

> > > This can't happen in the situation I described earlier because during
> > > system sleep transitions, no other user threads are allowed to run.
> > > All of them except the one actually carrying out the transition are
> > > frozen.
> >
> > Thanks for your kind explanation.
> >
> > After talking with you, my feeling is that the disabled state is obscure
> > and error-prone. So I suggest not to use it if possible. Maybe we can
> >
> > - make changes suggested by Alan to make disabled state better.
>
> What changes specifically do you mean to be precise?

I mean the following changes from Alan's email.

pm_runtime_set_suspended should fail if dev->power.runtime_auto
is clear.

pm_runtime_forbid should call pm_runtime_set_active if
dev->power.disable_depth > 0. (This would run into a problem
if the parent is suspended and disabled. Maybe
pm_runtime_forbid should fail when this happens.)

For the second one, is it possible that the device is really in low
power state when pm_runtime_forbid is called? That situation is hard to
deal with too.

> > - use Rafael's solution to solve this specific issue, and avoid the
> > usage of disabled state here.
>
> Well, I think that the PCI subsystem should just enable runtime PM for
> all devices upfront and keep it enabled going forward.
>
> My patch is incomplete, however, because it doesn't deal with probe/remove
> correctly at this point (which Alan pointed out earlier in the thread).

Yes.

Best Regards,
Huang Ying