Re: Kdump with signed images

From: Mimi Zohar
Date: Thu Nov 15 2012 - 07:56:36 EST

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 21:09 -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> You make a decent case for an implicit mlockall(MCL_FUTURE) being
> >> required of signed executables, that are going to be granted privileges
> >> based on signature verification.
> >
> > implicity lockall for signed executables sounds reasonable to avoid the
> > swap hack.
> >

> >> As for size if the executable won't fit in memory, there is no point in
> >> checking the signature.
> >
> > Well I am worried about malformed executables. One can sign a huge
> > executable (which is never meant to run successfully) and cause all
> > kind of memory issues.
>
> Good point what to do with executables with invalid sigantures. From
> another reply it sounded like one of the bits of IMA/EVM had already
> addressed part of that.

With IMA-appraisal enabled (enforcing mode), it would not be executed.

> > Can we first look at the signature, decrypt it using certificates in
> > kernel ring, and if we find out that executable was signed by any
> > of the certificates, only then we go on to read in whole executable
> > and try to calculate the digest. May be at the time of signing we can put
> > a string, say "LINUX", along with digest and then sing/encrypt it. Upon
> > decryption we can check if LINUX is there and if yes, we know it was
> > signed by the certifcate loaded in kernel and then go on to load the
> > full executable and calculate digest.
>
> > Not sure if above is doable or not but if it is, it might reduce the
> > risk significantly as we will not try to integrity verify executables
> > not signed by genuine certificates.
>
> Known plaintext in the signed blob should allow that. I would be very
> careful with that because it sounds like the kind of thing that opens
> you up to plain-text attacks, but that is mostly my parania and lack of
> experience speaking.

Although IMA (measurement and attestation), IMA-appraisal (local
integrity enforcement), and IMA auditing (logging hashes) can be enabled
individually, if any of these functions are enabled, then assuming the
file is in the IMA policy, the file will be hashed. Remember if all
else fails, measurement and attestation is your last line of defense,
for detecting if your system has been compromised.

Mimi