Re: [RFC] staging: ste_rmi4: merge into the main kernel tree

From: Linus Walleij
Date: Thu Nov 15 2012 - 12:41:18 EST

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In this case you need to enumerate the benefits of this driver over
> unified driver and show why the unified driver can't be fixed.

The benefit is that the ugliness in
drivers/staging/ste_rmi4/board-mop500-u8500uib-rmi4.c
can be avoided, as today we're unable to pass the compulsory
platform data in any sane way. I'm being told that this weak symbol
override actually does not really work... especially if there are more
than 1 I2C device on the bus :-P

Another way of fixing the staging driver usable is to add device tree
support, of course, that would decopule it completely from the
platform using it.

Yours,
Linus Walleij