Re: Debugging system freezes on filesystem writes

From: Marcus Sundman
Date: Thu Nov 15 2012 - 20:11:20 EST

On 13.11.2012 15:51, Jan Kara wrote:
On Fri 09-11-12 15:12:43, Marcus Sundman wrote:
On 09.11.2012 01:41, Marcus Sundman wrote:
On 07.11.2012 18:17, Jan Kara wrote:
On Fri 02-11-12 04:19:24, Marcus Sundman wrote:
Also, and this might be important, according to iotop there is
almost no disk writing going on during the freeze. (Occasionally
there are a few MB/s, but mostly it's 0-200 kB/s.) Well, at least
when an iotop running on nice -20 hasn't frozen completely, which it
does during the more severe freezes.
OK, it seems as if your machine has some problems with memory
allocations. Can you capture /proc/vmstat before the freeze and
after the
freeze and send them for comparison. Maybe it will show us what is the
system doing.
t=01:06 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.pre-freeze.txt
t=01:08 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.during-freeze.txt
t=01:12 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.post-freeze.txt
Here are some more vmstats:
http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstats.tar.gz

They are from running this:
while true; do cat /proc/vmstat > "vmstat.$(date +%FT%X).txt"; sleep
10; done

There were lots and lots of freezes for almost 20 mins from 14:37:45
onwards, pretty much constantly, but at 14:56:50 the freezes
suddenly stopped and everything went back to how it should be.
I was looking into the data but they didn't show anything problematic.
The machine seems to be writing a lot but there's always some free memory,
even direct reclaim isn't ever entered. Hum, actually you wrote iotop isn't
showing much IO going on but vmstats show there is about 1 GB written
during the freeze. It is not a huge amount given the time span but it
certainly gives a few MB/s of write load.

I didn't watch iotop during this particular freeze. I'll try to keep an eye on iotop in the future. Is there some particular options I should run iotop with, or is a "nice -n -20 iotop -od3" fine?

There's surprisingly high number of allocations going on but that may be
due to the IO activity. So let's try something else: Can you switch to
console and when the hang happens press Alt-Sysrq-w (or you can just do
"echo w >/proc/sysrq-trigger" if the machine is live enough to do that).
Then send me the output from dmesg. Thanks!

Sure! Here are two:
http://sundman.iki.fi/dmesg-1.txt
http://sundman.iki.fi/dmesg-2.txt

Best regards,