Re: sigaltstack fun (was Re: new execve/kernel_thread design)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Nov 18 2012 - 13:46:23 EST

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linus, do you have any objections to the above? FWIW, I've a tentative
> patchset in that direction (most of it from the last cycle); right now
> it + stuff currently in signal.git#for-next is at -3.4KLoC and I hadn't
> dealt with the biarch side of things yet...

I have absolutely no objections. sigaltstack has always been kind of
messy, and made worse by the fact that it gets effectively no testing
(because it's generally not used by normal code and even code that
uses it tends to use it only for very uncommon events). So forcing all
the sigaltstack code into generic code and at least avoiding the
"different architectures can get things subtly - or not so subtly -
wrong in different ways" sounds like a good thing.

Linus