Re: [RFC] usb: add 'usb_get_intf()' call into the probe methods ofdrivers for usb interfaces.

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Nov 20 2012 - 11:09:27 EST

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, harvey yang wrote:

> Hi, all
> I checked many usb drivers in the mainline kernel which do not record
> this reference in their probe methods. But according to the documents
> about this function, we shoud record this reference in our probe
> methods, just as the call to 'usb_get_dev()' to reference a usb
> device. Are these usb drivers right or we need to fix them?

The drivers are right; they do not need to be fixed. The reason is
because the drivers will be unbound automatically when the device or
interface is unregistered.

The only reason for a driver to take a reference would be if it wanted
to continue using the device after it was unbound. But drivers aren't
supposed to do that.

Alan Stern