Re: [RFC v3 0/3] vmpressure_fd: Linux VM pressure notifications

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Nov 20 2012 - 13:23:06 EST

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Glauber Costa wrote:

> >> Because cpusets only deal with memory placement, not memory usage.
> >
> > The set of nodes that a thread is allowed to allocate from may face memory
> > pressure up to and including oom while the rest of the system may have a
> > ton of free memory. Your solution is to compile and mount memcg if you
> > want notifications of memory pressure on those nodes. Others in this
> > thread have already said they don't want to rely on memcg for any of this
> > and, as Anton showed, this can be tied directly into the VM without any
> > help from memcg as it sits today. So why implement a simple and clean
> > mempressure cgroup that can be used alone or co-existing with either memcg
> > or cpusets?
> >

> Forgot this one:
>
> Because there is a huge ongoing work going on by Tejun aiming at
> reducing the effects of orthogonal hierarchy. There are many controllers
> today that are "close enough" to each other (cpu, cpuacct; net_prio,
> net_cls), and in practice, it brought more problems than it solved.

I'm very happy that Tejun is working on that, but I don't see how it's
relevant here: I'm referring to users who are not using memcg
specifically. This is what others brought up earlier in the thread: they
do not want to be required to use memcg for this functionality.

There are users of cpusets today that do not enable nor comount memcg. I
argue that a mempressure cgroup allows them this functionality without the
memory footprint of memcg (not only in text, but requiring page_cgroup).
Additionally, there are probably users who do not want either cpusets or
memcg and want notifications from mempressure at a global level. Users
who care so much about the memory pressure of their systems probably have
strict footprint requirements, it would be a complete shame to require a
semi-tractor trailer when all I want is a compact car.

> So yes, *maybe* mempressure is the answer, but it need to be justified
> with care. Long term, I think a saner notification API for memcg will
> lead us to a better and brighter future.

You can easily comount mempressure with your memcg, this is not anything
new.

> There is also yet another aspect: This scheme works well for global
> notifications. If we would always want this to be global, this would
> work neatly. But as already mentioned in this thread, at some point
> we'll want this to work for a group of processes as well. At that point,
> you'll have to count how much memory is being used, so you can determine
> whether or not pressure is going on. You will, then, have to redo all
> the work memcg already does.

Anton can correct me if I'm wrong, but I certainly don't think this is
where mempressure is headed: I don't think any accounting needs to be done
and, if it is, it's a design issue that should be addressed now rather
than later. I believe notifications should occur on current's mempressure
cgroup depending on its level of reclaim: nobody cares if your memcg has a
limit of 64GB when you only have 32GB of RAM, we'll want the notification.