Re: fadvise interferes with readahead

From: Fengguang Wu
Date: Wed Nov 21 2012 - 02:46:51 EST

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 02:51:41PM +0800, Jaegeuk Hanse wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 11:15 PM, Fengguang Wu wrote:

> >>Hi Fengguang,
> >>
> >>Another question, thanks in advance.
> >>
> >>What's the meaning of interleaved reads? If the first process
> >It's access patterns like
> >
> > 1, 1001, 2, 1002, 3, 1003, ...
> >
> >in which there are two (or more) mixed sequential read streams.
> >
> >>readahead from start ~ start + size - async_size, another process
> >>read start + size - aysnc_size + 1, then what will happen? It seems
> >>that variable hit_readahead_marker is false, and related codes can't
> >>run, where I miss?
> >Yes hit_readahead_marker will be false. However on reading 1002,
> >hit_readahead_marker()/count_history_pages() will find the previous
> >page 1001 already in page cache and trigger context readahead.
>
> Hi Fengguang,
>
> Thanks for your explaination, the comment in function
> ondemand_readahead, "Hit a marked page without valid readahead
> state". What's the meaning of "without valid readahead state"?

It normally happens in interleaved (or clustered random) reads. When
there are two read streams for one struct file, the one file_ra_state
won't be able to track state for the two streams. When the readahead
code is triggered for stream A, the file_ra_state may contain the
previous readahead window information for stream B. In this case
stream B's readahead state (ra->start, ra->size etc.) is invalid for
the current stream A that we are working on.

Thanks,
Fengguang