Re: [RFC 3/3] man-pages: Add man page for vmpressure_fd(2)

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Wed Nov 21 2012 - 10:01:48 EST

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:12:28AM -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
>
> > We try to make userland freeing resources when the system becomes low on
> > memory. Once we're short on memory, sometimes it's better to discard
> > (free) data, rather than let the kernel to drain file caches or even start
> > swapping.
> >

> To add another usecase: its possible to modify our version of malloc (or
> any malloc) so that memory that is free()'d can be released back to the
> kernel only when necessary, i.e. when keeping the extra memory around
> starts to have a detremental effect on the system, memcg, or cpuset. When
> there is an abundance of memory available such that allocations need not
> defragment or reclaim memory to be allocated, it can improve performance
> to keep a memory arena from which to allocate from immediately without
> calling the kernel.

A potential third use case is a variation of the first for batch systems. If
it's running low priority tasks and a high priority task starts that
results in memory pressure then the job scheduler may decide to move the
low priority jobs elsewhere (or cancel them entirely).

A similar use case is monitoring systems running high priority workloads
that should never swap. It can be easily detected if the system starts
swapping but a pressure notification might act as an early warning system
that something is happening on the system that might cause the primary
workload to start swapping.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs