Re: [Suggestion] drivers/tty: drivers/char/: for MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE

From: Chen Gang
Date: Thu Nov 29 2012 - 21:27:57 EST

ä 2012å11æ29æ 21:41, Alan Cox åé:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:07:28 +0800
> Chen Gang <gang.chen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hello Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>>
>> for MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE:
>> it is defined as 4096;
>> but for the max buffer size which it processes, is 65535.
>> so suggest to #define MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE 0x10000 (better than 0xffff)
>
> I don't see the need to change this. Possibly some of the old synclink
> drivers need to check more carefully for overflows if configured for very
> large frame sizes ?

I am just through code review (so it is only a suggestion), I will try to perform test.
also welcome another members to help testing.

this issue has effect with 4 synclink drivers (most of source code are the same).
drivers/char/pcmcia/synclink_cs.c:213: char flag_buf[MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE];
drivers/tty/synclink_gt.c:320: char flag_buf[MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE];
drivers/tty/synclink.c:294: char flag_buf[MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE];
drivers/tty/synclinkmp.c:265: char flag_buf[MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE];

for the char_buf, has already useless (can be removed)
drivers/tty/synclink_gt.c:321: char char_buf[MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE];
drivers/tty/synclink.c:295: char char_buf[MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE];
drivers/tty/synclinkmp.c:266: char char_buf[MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE];

>> Step 3:
>>
>> one sample in drivers/tty/n_gsm.c (same for another implementation)
>>
>> receive_buf is a function ptr which may be gsmld_receive_buf at line 2819.
>> it does not check the length of count whether larger than MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE.
>> if count is larger than MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE, will cause issue.
>
> Why should it - MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE is an internal detail of the
> synclink drivers.
>
> Alan

no, not need. (excuse me, my English is not quite well, maybe you misunderstand what I said)

at least, currently:
the caller should be sure that the buffer length is enough (it seems not, I need test it).
the internal has no duty to check it.

--
Chen Gang

Asianux Corporation