Re: [Patch v4 00/12] memory-hotplug: hot-remove physical memory

From: Tang Chen
Date: Fri Nov 30 2012 - 01:38:36 EST

Hi Andrew,

On 11/28/2012 03:27 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:

- acpi framework
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/26/175

What's happening with the acpi framework? has it received any feedback
from the ACPI developers?

About ACPI framework, we are trying to do the following.

The memory device can be removed by 2 ways:
1. send eject request by SCI
2. echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/PNP0C80:XX/eject

In the 1st case, acpi_memory_disable_device() will be called.
In the 2nd case, acpi_memory_device_remove() will be called.
acpi_memory_device_remove() will also be called when we unbind the
memory device from the driver acpi_memhotplug or a driver
initialization fails.

acpi_memory_disable_device() has already implemented a code which
offlines memory and releases acpi_memory_info struct . But
acpi_memory_device_remove() has not implemented it yet.

So the patch prepares the framework for hot removing memory and
adds the framework into acpi_memory_device_remove().

All the ACPI related patches have been put into the linux-next branch
of the linux-pm.git tree as v3.8 material.Please refer to the following
url.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/2/160

So for now, with this patch set, we can do memory hot-remove on x86_64
linux.

I do hope you would merge them before 3.8-rc1, so that we can use this
functionality in 3.8.

As we are still testing all memory hotplug related functionalities, I
hope we can do the bug fix during 3.8 rc.

Thanks. :)