Re: [BUG REPORT] [mm-hotplug, aio] aio ring_pages can't be offlined

From: Kamezawa Hiroyuki
Date: Fri Nov 30 2012 - 02:13:33 EST

(2012/11/30 14:57), Andrew Morton wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:42:05 +0800 Lin Feng <linfeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi Andrew,

On 11/30/2012 07:39 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:
Tricky.

I expect the same problem would occur with pages which are under
O_DIRECT I/O. Obviously O_DIRECT pages won't be pinned for such long
periods, but the durations could still be lengthy (seconds).
the offline retry timeout duration is 2 minutes, so to O_DIRECT pages
seem maybe not a problem for the moment.

Worse is a futex page, which could easily remain pinned indefinitely.

The best I can think of is to make changes in or around
get_user_pages(), to steal the pages from userspace and replace them
with non-movable ones before pinning them. The performance cost of
something like this would surely be unacceptable for direct-io, but
maybe OK for the aio ring and futexes.
thanks for your advice.
I want to limit the impact as little as possible, as mentioned above,
direct-io seems not a problem, we needn't touch them. Maybe we can
just change the use of get_user_pages()(in or around) such as aio
ring pages. I will try to find a way to do this.

What about futexes?

IIUC, futex's key is now a pair of (mm,address) or (inode, pgoff).
Then, get_user_page() in futex.c will release the page by put_page().
'struct page' is just touched by get_futex_key() to obtain page->mapping info.

Thanks,
-Kame