Re: [RFC] Capabilities still can't be inherited by normal programs

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Date: Fri Dec 07 2012 - 09:37:39 EST

Quoting Casey Schaufler (casey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> On 12/5/2012 2:20 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> >> I can and did.
> > Oh, oops, I mis-understood what you meant was the problem.
> >
> > Yup, that is a real limitation.
> >
> > Yes, with the posix file caps you will be disappointed unless you see
> > pI=X as "this user may run any program which is Inh-trusted with X" and
> > fI=X as "this program may be run with X by any user Inh-trusted with X".
> >
> > It almost makes me want to say that there should be an execve-analogue
> > to prctl(PR_SET_KEEPCAPS), which says caps will remain unchanged for one
> > execve. Or perhaps an intermediate securebits state between
> > !SECBIT_NOROOT and SECBIT_NOROOT, which automatically transitions after
> > the first execve to SECBIT_NOROOT.
> >
> >> The mere presence of a cap_net_raw+i tcpdump binary is more or less
> >> equivalent to saying that users with cap_net_raw in pI can capture
> >> packets. I've just prevented pI=cap_net_raw from meaning anything
> >> less than "can capture packets". So I think we should bite the bullet
> >> and just let programs opt in (via some appropriately careful
> >> mechanism) to real capability inheritance.
> > By real you mean more precise. I think it'd be very interesting to get
> > together with Markku and learn more from the N9 experiment!
> >
> > Markku, are there any post-mortem analysis papers we can read for
> > starters? Andy would not be trying to restrict root in general, so
> > the ramification you cited may not necessarily be relevant.
> >
> > -serge
>
> http://wt.tuxomania.net/publications/posix.1e/download.html
>
> Everyone should read the capabilities rationale. It answers most
> of the questions on this thread, and a bunch more. The capabilities
> mechanism has to support what are currently setuid-root programs
> without change and allow for new programs that use the mechanism
> wisely and fully.

How to put this delicately... that is not enjoyable reading :)

As I understood it, the draft supports setuid-root programs, but
does not support a !SECBIT_NOROOT environment. If that is not the
case, can you point to where in the draft that is described?

Regardless,

1. Andy describes a problem which AFAICT can't be solved with the
current capabilities support. An intermediate state between
!SECBIT_NOROOT and SECBIT_NOROOT (which itself is IIUC already an
extension beyond the above draft) seems an interesting feature to
consider which would support the wrapper case - but not something
to run into blindly without considering all the ramifications.

2. The N9 folks have experimented with other inheritence properties,
and the details their experience would be educational.

There are two other ways the wrappered privileged tcpdump could be
achieved:

1. Have the privileged wrapper create a new user and network
namespace and pass the network device into the new network
namespace and run tcpdump there with privilege. This doesn't
work if the specific device also needs to be used in the original
network namespace (but passing a device bridged with the one of
interest might suffice?).

2. Have the privileged wrapper create a small tmpfs mount in a
(non-ms-shared) new mounts namespace, copy tcpdump into that mount
and give it fI=CAP_NET_RAW, then execute the child with
pI=CAP_NET_RAW. A bit hacky, but prevents the issue of other
users with pI=CAP_NET_RAW from executing that tcpdump. Since
the child will have pP=CAP_NET_RAW, the other users should be
prevented from getting to the modified tcpdump binary through
the child's /proc/pid/fd/N.

Not saying these are ideal, just trying to think of ways of
solving the problem...

-serge