Re: Streamlining Developer's Certificate of Origin, Signed-off-by tag

From: W. Trevor King
Date: Sat Dec 08 2012 - 12:23:28 EST

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:10:43AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Not just a separate document but project / github / whatever given
> > that other projects are referring to it now, and we stand to gain more
> > in the community by streamlining it more and making it ubiquitous.
>
> Cutting and pasting it somewhere works (subject to whatever licensing
> it may have itself), as does having a list and a location for a copy, but
> you still want it in the tree proper.

For easy inclusion (preserving history), I've pulled out commits for
the DCO and related Signed-off-by documentation from Linux and Git
into a new repository [1].

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 09:25:15AM -0500, W. Trevor King wrote:
> So. What license is the DCO distributed under and who holds
> copyright?

The Git project did some similar copying of the DCO into a new project
[2] and is (like the kernel) distributed under the GPLv2 exact. To be
consistent with this, I've also released the new signed-off-by
repository under the GPLv2 exact. If you're using a GPLv2 exact
project, you can merge the `signed-off-by` branch into your project
directly.

Because many projects that are not GPLv2 may still want to use the
DCO/s-o-b approach, I've included an example CONTRIBUTING file (and
CONTRIBUTING.md for GitHub) that are licensed under the very
permissive Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal. Merge the
`contributing` or `contributing-github` branch into your project and
edit as you see fit. For an example, see the GPLv{2,3} rss2email [3].

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://github.com/wking/signed-off-by
https://github.com/wking/signed-off-by.git
git://github.com/wking/signed-off-by.git
[2]: https://github.com/gitster/git/commit/314082512403f7f6969cc6d5ded4a48c68a9962e
[3]: https://github.com/wking/rss2email/