New system call wanted: fdreopen

From: Tristan Wibberley
Date: Sun Dec 09 2012 - 10:09:41 EST

Hello,

I'd like to propose a system call called "fdreopen":

int fdreopen(int src_fd, int dst_fd, int flags);

I am willing to try implementing this system call given some suggestions
where to start and what locking to watch out for. I have given a brief of
the behaviour below, and a description of the class of problem that it
solves at the end.

Does anybody know any reasons why this system call would be impossible/
impractical or otherwise unacceptable?

Any improvements I should consider before trying to implement it?

Behaviour
=========

This system call would be like dup3 except for these things:

- if dst_fd is -1 then the lowest available file descriptor is allocated
rather than returning EBADF as dup3 does.

- the new file descriptor points to a *new* entry in the file table much
as if the original file had been opened again via open or openat. This
means that two large independent libraries can seek and read without
synchronising even when they cannot open a file by its path.

- O_RDWR access can be reduced to O_RDONLY or O_WRONLY:
int src_fd = open("/file", O_RDWR | O_CLOEXEC);
new_fd = fdreopen(src_fd, -1, O_CLOEXEC | O_RDONLY);

- it would be async signal safe.

Why
===

A common idiom on Linux is to open a file and keep the fd open so that
the underlying file can be unlinked from its directory. But if the file
needs to be read from several different parts of the codebase then due to
the file descriptor having exactly one read pointer those different parts
must be synchronised which is a relatively difficult task.

I think that this new system call is required to achieve that neatly and
simply:

- dup does not solve this problem because it only allows the new file
descriptor to have its own flags (eg O_CLOEXEC).

- /proc/self/fd/* does not solve this problem because the file might no
longer be available at the same place in the filesystem. In some
otherwise simple message passing or ReSTful IPC a different file will
be available at that path.

I suspect that user space has been solving this problem with otherwise
unnecessary levels of either synchronisation or difficult to reproduce
occasional bugs.

--
Tristan Wibberley