Re: Missing tags in my local stable git repo

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Mon Dec 10 2012 - 13:12:41 EST

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:35:00PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I'm curious if you are removing tags from your git repo on kernel.org.

No, not at all, and I can see these tags in my repo, and in the one on
kernel.org.

> And the stable.git remotes look like:
>
> origin /home/rostedt/work/git/nobackup/linus.git/ (fetch)
> origin /home/rostedt/work/git/nobackup/linus.git/ (push)
> stable git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git (fetch)
> stable git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git (push)

Can you see the tags here in your local copy of the linux-stable.git
tree?

> My linus.git tree is simply a bare tree that mirrors Linus's tree:
>
> origin git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git (fetch)
> origin git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git (push)
>
> I have a crontab that updates these every night with a 'git remote
> update' and once a week they do a 'git gc' on these repos. I notice the
> above issues after the git gc.
>
> I'm not sure where the problem arised, but did you do any cleanups of
> tags on the stable git repo?

No I do not, so I don't know what is going on, sorry.

Try cloning the linux-stable.git tree from scratch to see if you still
have this issue. Odds are, something with all of the alternates is
getting confused somewhere.

greg k-h