Re: [RFC v1 01/16] lib: devres: don't enclose pcim_*() functions in CONFIG_HAS_IOPORT

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Dec 11 2012 - 17:34:37 EST

On Tuesday 11 December 2012, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 04:15:02PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > > The problem is that on ARCH_MULTI_V7, ARCH_VEXPRESS is forcefully
> > > enabled. And ARCH_VEXPRESS selects NO_IOPORT.. so you don't have the
> > > pcim_*() functions, and therefore libata-sff.c (needed for many SATA
> > > drivers) will not build. How do you solve this?
> >
> > What you describe here are probable two bugs, and we should fix both:
> >
> > * ARCH_VEXPRESS should not select NO_IOPORT. It's generally wrong
> > to select this in combination with ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM, when some
> > of the other platforms you may enable actually have IOPORT mapping
> > support.
>
> No. ARCH_VEXPRESS selects NO_IOPORT because it does not support
> PCI/ISA IO space. That in itself is reasonable, but what isn't
> reasonable is the negative logic being used. Negative logic in
> the config system always tends to provoke this kind of sillyness
> because you're selecting something to be excluded which another
> platform may require.

Exactly, that is what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

> We should instead have HAVE_IOPORT and platforms which need ISA/PCI IO
> space support should select this symbol instead - so it becomes an
> inclusive feature rather than an exclusive feature.

Right. Note that HAS_IOPORT already exists and is defined as

config HAS_IOPORT
boolean
depends on HAS_IOMEM && !NO_IOPORT
default y

If we change it to

config HAS_IOPORT
boolean
depends on HAS_IOMEM
default !NO_IOPORT

then we can actually select both NO_IOPORT and HAS_IOPORT with the result
of getting HAS_IOPORT. It is a bit confusing though to have both enabled,
so we might still want to use an approach where we only select NO_IOPORT
if we are sure that we can't have it.

Arnd