Re: power: Add simple poweroff-gpio driver

From: Dave Jones
Date: Thu Dec 13 2012 - 15:52:18 EST

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 08:21:57PM +0000, Linux Kernel wrote:
> Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/linus/;a=commit;h=96ff0f5c7efd4a2205c48a76a6a1fcd2731e6128
> Commit: 96ff0f5c7efd4a2205c48a76a6a1fcd2731e6128
> Parent: f4a00139b7cbeff538e616a21f6b57249a9d3ed8
> Author: Jamie Lentin <jm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> AuthorDate: Sat Nov 17 09:51:04 2012 +0100
> Committer: Jason Cooper <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> CommitDate: Sat Nov 24 02:56:38 2012 +0000
>
> power: Add simple poweroff-gpio driver
>
> Given appropriate devicetree bindings, this driver registers a
> pm_power_off function to set a GPIO line high/low to power down
> your board.

Given this seems to be dependant on device-tree, shouldn't there be
some 'depends on' in the kconfig to prevent this showing up on architectures
that don't implement it ?

> +menuconfig POWER_RESET
> + bool "Board level reset or power off"
> + help
> + Provides a number of drivers which either reset a complete board
> + or shut it down, by manipulating the main power supply on the board.
> +
> + Say Y here to enable board reset and power off
> +
> +config POWER_RESET_GPIO
> + bool "GPIO power-off driver"
> + depends on OF_GPIO && POWER_RESET
> + help
> + This driver supports turning off your board via a GPIO line.
> + If your board needs a GPIO high/low to power down, say Y and
> + create a binding in your devicetree.

If not, upon seeing this, I suspect many users will ask "how do I know if I need this?"
given there's no mention of the sort of hardware this is useful on.

Dave