Re: [git pull] m68k updates for 3.8

From: Greg Ungerer
Date: Sat Dec 15 2012 - 07:10:17 EST

On 12/15/2012 07:48 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
On 12/14/2012 06:04:51 AM, Greg Ungerer wrote:
Hi Rob,
Somebody got one of my images to boot under aranym but they had to patch
the kernel fairly extensively to add the emulated device support that
emulator provided. It doesn't emulate real devices the way qemu does,
but qemu doesn't fully emulate the processor (just coldfire in
mainline)...

I use aranym for testing m68k. Though I don't really pound to heavily
on the devices. I really only cross-compile small systems for testing
on it.

What kernel config do you use for aranym? I don't see an an aranym entry in
arch/m68k/configs, and I stopped using it precisely because it required
several large patches to add emulated device support for everything from
serial console to block devices. (There was a kernel upgrade, it broke,
I cut a release without it. Pretty much the same reason I stopped using
squashfs for a year or so until it finally got merged.)

arch/m68k/configs/atari_defconfig

AranyM is an Atari emulator. As far as I know all the special device
support has been merged into mainline now.

I can poke Laurent Vivier about possibly getting the qemu-system-m68k
and the q800 board emulation to work better if there's interest from
anyone other than me. (I just checked and it dies at the same place it
did last year: setting up the page tables. The MMU emulation ain't
there, and I haven't got documentation for it.)

My interest is that my aboriginal linux setup builds the same system for
a dozen different targets and then natively builds packages inside the
emulator. This allows me to regression test if their behavior diverges,
even from a cron job if I want to. From my viewpoint, the more targets
the merrier.

(I don't care hugely about which board emulation I'm using, the point is
to run a native root filesystem including a native toolchain and build
stuff locally on the board. This requires at least 256 megs of memory in
the emulated board for gcc 4.2 (more for newer versions), and ideally I
want a virtual network card so I can hook up distcc to the cross
compiler and move the heavy lifting of compilation outside the emulator
without reintroducing the whole "keep track of two simultaneous build
contexts" complexity of cross compiling. So it's not "q800 vs aranym",
it's "I already got qemu to emulate all the other targets I'm testing
and it doesn't require an extensively patched kernel" vs "other emulator
requiring patched kernel"...)

For whatever it is worth I don't run patched kernels under AranyM.
But I don't really care to much about the odd ball devices either
for most of the testing I use it for.

Regards
Greg