Re: [tip:x86/microcode] x86/microcode_intel_early.c: Early updateucode on Intel's CPU

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Dec 19 2012 - 18:40:14 EST

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 03:22:13PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

[ â ]

> Now, calming down a little bit, we are definitely dealing with BIOS
> engineers and so f*ckups are going to happen, again and again.

Yeppers.

> The only truly "safe" option is to limit early mappings to 4K pages.
> This is highly undesirable for a bunch of reasons. Reducing mapping
> granularity to 2M rather than 1G (what Yinghai is proposing) does reduce
> the exposure somewhat; it would be interesting to gather trap statistics
> and try to get a feel for if this actually changes the boot time
> measurably or not.

This is done on the BSP, right? So we can measure it how long it takes
by taking TSC values of start and end.

> The other bit is that building the real kernel page tables iteratively
> (ignoring the early page tables here) is safer, since the real page
> table builder is fully aware of the memory map. This means any
> "spillover" from the early page tables gets minimized to regions where
> there are data objects that have to be accessed early.

That shouldn't be a "lot", relatively speaking.

> Since Yinghai already had iterative page table building working, I
> don't see any reason to not use that capability.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds doable but we should take a hard look at the patches so that we
don't miss anything.

Also, I don't know how stuff like that would be approached for a wider
testing - I mean, it is a serious change in x86 boot code and there will
be issues.

Hmm.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.