Re: [GIT PULL] perf changes for v3.8

From: David Ahern
Date: Sat Dec 22 2012 - 14:30:26 EST

On 12/17/12 3:20 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
Does the regression happen because of commit 20b279ddb38c. If it does I
think it is safe to revert it. KVM disables PEBS during guest entry now, so
VMs shouldn't be blowing up (they do not in my testing) and if they still
do we can disable the counter that has PEBS enabled on a guest entry too.
Yes, if user runs "perf record -e cycles:ppG" he will not know that
kernel ignored :pp modifier (with 20b279ddb38c he will get an error), but
at least old binaries will continue working and new binaries can do the
checking in userspace.

Your patch alone was not enough. Start here:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/12/3

And from your response:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/12/337

"Do not run perf kvm. It does not set exclude_guest and :p and :pp is not compatible with guest profiling and should be disallowed. Again Peter's patch takes care of this."

20b279ddb38c is Peter's patch -- kernel side enforcement that exclude_guest needs to be set when using precise mode.

David