tg3 v3.123 in 100Mbps Full-Duplex mode with autoneg off

From: Marcin Miotk
Date: Wed Jan 02 2013 - 10:13:46 EST

Hi all,

While upgrading some gentoo servers from 3.0.9-gentoo to 3.4.11-gentoo
on HP Proliant DL320p machines I spotted an issue with tg3 driver.
I had port on a switch set to 100FD mode (autoneg off) and NIC set to
'speed 100 duplex full autoneg off' during bootup with ethtool - it's
been working this way for a very long time with no issues, however
after upgrading kernel I noticed that there is no connectivity at all
on the interface - the interface is up, configured (manually), but I'm
not able to ping any host - ethtool result below:

Settings for eth1:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: Not reported
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Speed: Unknown!
Duplex: Unknown! (255)
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: off
MDI-X: Unknown
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err
Link detected: no

The NIC is working properly when I set the switchport to Autoneg +
100FD advertised and NIC is set to 'autoneg on' - on that config both
NIC and switch shows link as 100FD and there is no issues at all.
I compiled few kernel versions (also from vanilla sources) and the
source of the issue seems to be tg3 driver v3.123 - kernels with tg3
v3.122 works properly.
While browsing the tg3 changelog I noticed that there were some
changes made to autoneg in v3.123 + some code has been removed from
it.
Is this a known issue?

Regards,
Marcin Miotk