Re: Linux 3.8-rc2

From: Daniel Vetter
Date: Sun Jan 06 2013 - 15:53:09 EST

On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 03:18:54PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Alexey Zaytsev <alexey.zaytsev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Chris: The patch does not seem to have any effect on the problem.
> >
> > Peter: I've attached the dmesgs, as well as the diff between the
> > interesting parts. The patch does not seem to make any difference
> > there.
>
> Alexey, what happens if you just avoid the divide-by-zero? There might
> be other complications downstream, but something like the attached
> patch should at least avoid doing the "divide-by-clock" when clock is
> zero..

Yeah, that looks like the better duct-tape. For context, we're in the
middle of the long road to fastboot, i.e. taking over the output setup
done by the bios to avoid a costly modeset at boot-up (at least for
somewhat sane firmware which doesn't use legacy vga mode any more but the
native resolution of the panel). But since we don't yet read out the full
hw state some assumptions are now broken in our code, so we need to catch
them.

Chris has a more complete patch covering all the other
generations/code-paths accessing crtc->mode.clock (but lost you from cc).
I'll forward his patch asap (still digging through the mail flood from
vacation).

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter