Re: 3.8-rc2 lockdep complains about console_lock vs. fb_notifier_list.rwsem

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Jan 16 2013 - 04:35:21 EST

At Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:21:46 +0100,
Sedat Dilek wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At Sat, 5 Jan 2013 13:13:27 +0100,
> > Sedat Dilek wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Jiri,
> >>
> >> ...known issue (see thread in [1]), please feel free to test patches
> >> from Alan and Andrew (see [1], [2] and [3]) and report.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> - Sedat -
> >>
> >> [1] http://marc.info/?t=135309396400003&r=1&w=2
> >> [2] http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/fb-rework-locking-to-fix-lock-ordering-on-takeover.patch
> >> [3] http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/fb-rework-locking-to-fix-lock-ordering-on-takeover-fix.patch
> >> [4] http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/fb-rework-locking-to-fix-lock-ordering-on-takeover-fix-2.patch
> >
> > I've hit this bug and tried the patch [2] ([3] and [4] are gone).
> > Unfortunately the deadlock is still reported, as seen below.
> >
> > A similar fix for fbcon_unbind(), splitting an unlocked version of
> > unbind_con_driver() and call it?
> >
> > (BTW, the patch [2] contains strange characters in the comments, and
> > has a few coding issues easily detected by checkpatch.pl.)
> >

> [ CCing Rafael as he asked in another thread if I had sent a patch ]
>
> I noticed also some these "strange" chars in the patch from Andrew and
> a patch of mine was sent as
> "fb-Rework-locking-to-fix-lock-ordering-on-takeover-fix-comments.patch"
> to the lists.
>
> It is strange to me that Andrew or other maintainers himself did not
> check with "checkpatch.pl".
> This should be a common testcase!
> Hey, noone is perfect :-).
> ( /me has also not checked with that script - I just saw it. )
>
> Just as a note to the issue in general:
> Andrew took over the patch from Alan which is very honest - he is not
> the active TTY maintainer!
> Didn't Greg takeover maintenance from Alan (after a dispute and blaming Alan)?
> If this is true, why the hell is Greg not CCed?

Let's do it :)

Greg, Jiri, this bug hits already quite a few people.

I can reproduce the bug easily on a machine with a radeon graphics.
It appears always at boot when lockdep is enabled.

> Thanks for the real patch in the followup of this thread!
> Who will take care of it :-)?

Either tty maintainer, or fb maintainer, or Andrew?

FWIW, Andrew took my patch in mm:
http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/fb-rework-locking-to-fix-lock-ordering-on-takeover.patch
http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/fb-yet-another-band-aid-for-fixing-lockdep-mess.patch

thanks,