Re: Redefinition of struct in6_addr in <netinet/in.h> and<linux/in6.h>

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Jan 17 2013 - 05:57:07 EST

On Thursday 2013-01-17 03:05, David Miller wrote:

>From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:58:47 -0500
>
>> So I just went down the rabbit hole, and the further I get the
>> closer I get to having two exact copies of the same definitions
>> in both glibc and the kernel and using whichever one was included
>> first.
>>
>> Is anyone opposed to that kind of solution?
>
>Sounds interesting, please share :-)

iptables has the same issue, and solved it its way.
(uapi/)linux/netfilter.h is used to get at things like union
nf_inet_addr. This union contains struct in6_addr. There is no include
for in6_addr in netfilter.h itself. This may break the "standalone
compilation" test, but at least allows for specifying the
environment-specific header for in6_addr in the C file:

a. userspace: #include <netinet/in.h> before <linux/netfilter.h>
b. kernel parts: #include <linux/in6.h> before <linux/netfilter.h>